Category: Digital Insights (Data/BI)
City: Leatherhead, Surrey, United Kingdom
Employment Type: Full Time
We are seeking to expand our team of professionals with opportunities at a variety of levels to service our clients’ needs and to explore and implement new business opportunities in Space.
CGI’s space team has a particular need for experts in the processing of satellite imagery and other remotely sensed data. The scope of the work undertaken within the space team includes software evolution and maintenance activities on large infrastructural programmes, development of platforms to enable the exploitation of Earth Observation (EO) data, infrastructure projects to support the storage and dissemination of EO-derived products as well as the development of new EO-enabled products and services.
At CGI Space we offer a well-structured and secure organisation where you will have the opportunity to explore a variety of roles through your career. We value our active social activities at local and UK level, and offer support to your development through regular performance review. We offer training where needed, and as part of your on-going career development.
Duties and responsibilities
• To provide expertise in image processing in support of CGI contributions to consortium-based R&D initiatives in line with overall project goals
• To contribute to technical project deliverables
• To interpret user and customer requirements for the definition of technically viable and relevant EO product and service specifications
• To provide expertise in EO and GIS to support the development of new applications:
– Contribution of ideas and concepts for new and innovative EO-enabled products and services
– Technical development work to generate new algorithms and production workflows for the implementation of EO-enabled products and services
• To maintain awareness of emerging EO and GIS technologies and techniques
• Contributions to technical proposals for prospective EO-related opportunities to support and sustain CGI’s position in the industry and to contribute to growth in the space team
• Degree in Applied Remote Sensing, Geographic Information Management, Environmental Science or related fields
• Proven experience in the applied use of EO data, both SAR and optical would be advantageous but demonstrably expert in at least one (preferably in a commercial context)
• Excellent awareness of and ability in the application of image processing techniques (implementation of production workflows and automation would be excellent)
• Experience of relevant image processing software packages (such as ENVI, ERDAS, ESRI, SNAP and relevant open source options e.g. QGIS, ORFEO)
• Strong oral and written communication skills in English
• Ability to organise own work and manage multiple tasks in parallel
• Enthusiasm for problem solving and can do attitude to work
Highly desirable skills and experience
• Relevant programming experience or aptitude an advantage (Python, C++, IDL)
• Knowledge of implementing geo solutions in a web environment (Geoserver, OpenLayers, OGC standards etc)
• Knowledge of relevant EU entities, particularly ECMWF, ESA and EUMETAT would be an asset
• Knowledge of relevant EU programmes, such as Copernicus
Starting salaries depend on the current level of expertise and experience. Our roles require Security Clearance to SC Level, or a European Equivalent, so you must have lived and worked in the EU for the past 5 years, and be willing to obtain this level of clearance if you do not already have it.